Electrician Resume: Templates, Examples & Complete Guide
We couldn’t imagine life today without electricity. Without it, there would be no internet, no lights, it would be completely dark, like in the past. Businesses would stop working, there would be chaos everywhere.
However, there wouldn’t be an electric grid without people who can build and maintain it.
From every small house, across the big complexes, all the way to the electricity source and distribution centers.
Nowadays, people often forget how important these professions are. Everyone would like to be programmers and directors, but without people like electricians, there is no IT and programming.
Even though this profession is becoming more and more scarce, the competition is still brutal, like in any other field. Therefore, you will need some mechanism to make yourself stand out of the crowd if you want to get the job you want. That mechanism is, of course, your personal resume.
A lot of people would simply make a pretty common resume, with just basic, almost generic information, such as “Experienced electrician with excellent skills”, but that would be a mistake. In order for recruiters to choose you for the interview, you need to write a well-organized and targeted resume.
It would help you stand out of the crowd and be different than all those people who don’t spend some time making good resumes.
Today, we are here to help you with that.
We know it is not easy to write a perfect resume, so we decided to give you a hand and offer some useful tips.
Now, before we get on with that and start with our guide, let’s ask ourselves what would be the most important questions every well-organized and targeted resume should answer:
- How to be different than others?
- What are the most important parts of every resume?
- Is it good to use finished resume templates?
- How long should I make my resume?
In short, every perfect resume should answer these questions. Sometimes it’s not so easy to do that, but worry not! We will lend you a hand.
Apart from allowing you to stand out of the crowd, a perfect resume could help recruiters as well.
By reading it, they could meet you a bit better, even before the actual interview, so when they eventually invite you and talk to you, they can be ready and have some questions prepared for you.
Before we begin with a step-by-step guide about making a perfect resume, we will present you two examples of perfect electrician resume. After that, we will start with our guide and talk about each individual piece of a resume.
We will discuss what information is important enough to be shared in these sections and what is not that much important
Another thing we have for you is our resume template creator, that you can use to create your resume in several minutes, simply by filling in all important information.
Let’s not waste any more time, let’s start with the examples, shall we?
Resume Example for Chief Electrician
Resume Example for Electrician
HERE’S HOW A PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICIAN WRITES THE PERSONAL INFO SECTION
You can look at a resume as to your business card. In order for it to be a real business card, you need to share something about yourself.
Therefore, the very first section of a perfect resume is the personal info section.
In this section, you should put some information about yourself, such as name, address, email, profession and contact information.
However, make sure you don’t put too much information. In that regard, a lot of people ask “How long should my resume be?”.
The simple answer is no more than two pages, preferably one. Therefore, try not to put information, such as your mother’s name, family tree, etc.
Let’s see what information is important enough to be included in the personal info section and what is the best way of doing it.
Very first thing you say when you meet someone is, of course, your name.
There is no difference when it comes to making your resume. First thing you should share on the document is your full name.
So, no nicknames, no funny names. What you want to achieve here is to look as professional as possible. If you would put your nickname, that would look very unprofessional to most recruiters.
And they don’t like unprofessional people who would join their teams. You can see the examples of both the wrong and right choice below.
In some countries, it is also a good idea to introduce yourself only with your family name.
For example, in the academic world, it is common for colleagues to do that, simply because it looks a bit more professional, so don’t hesitate to try it.
After sharing your name, the next logical step is to share your current or previous job title.
That would help recruiters see if you had some experience, even before they start reading your resume.
If you are a fresh graduate without any practical experience, you can also put your highest academic title, for instance, B.A. in Electrical Engineering.
When it comes to sharing your picture, there aren’t many jobs that would require you to do that, except perhaps jobs like stage model or something similar, where looks matter.
However, it has become a common practice to share a picture of yourself, so you should definitely do that.
One thing to note is that you shouldn’t share just any picture, but instead, make some photos that would look professional.
That means you shouldn’t use random pictures from Instagram and Facebook, but dress well, fix your hair and take some nice pictures.
Two most common ways of communication between recruiters and job applicants are an email address and phone call. Therefore, it is very important to share your phone number.
Some recruiters prefer to call their candidates directly, in order to get some impressions from their tone, sentences, and general attitude.
Some jobs even require you to act in a way that would satisfy recruiters enough to invite you to an interview and hire you, such as call center operator job.
And sometimes, emails can get bugged and don’t show the message at all, so it is better to have an alternative way of communication.
Home address is generally not required by most companies.
But, it is not a bad idea to share it in your resume.
Why you may ask?
Well, imagine yourself getting called to an interview with some big company with lots of offices across the entire city.
If they didn’t know your home address, they would simply put you in an office of their choosing.
However, if you share your address, they might be willing to put you in some office that is closer to your home.
Also, if they knew you live a bit far away from the company, they could offer you to pay for your transportation or to organize a transport vehicle for you.
Along with the phone number, emails are the most important channel of communication between employers and employees.
Therefore, your email address is a crucial piece of information that you must share in your resume.
However, note that you shouldn’t use just any email, for example, below.
That means you shouldn’t use any email with nicknames, funny names, random numbers, etc.
What you should do is make one email, which will only be used for business purposes. It should be built from your full name, or from a bit shorter version, in case your full name is too long.
Also, don’t forget to use the most familiar email providers, such as Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail, instead of some other, less familiar and less trusted providers.
In today’s world, it would be almost impossible to imagine life without social media networks. It all started with people chatting and texting each other, but over the years, social media became a very important aspect in business as well.
This rise in popularity of social media networks brought to the birth of a new branch of digital marketing, called social media marketing.
It added a completely new sphere of influence in the marketing world, allowing companies to advertise their products and services, make new marketing campaigns and attract more customers by using different tools on different social media networks.
Therefore, it is a good question of whether to add some of your social media profiles to your resume or not.
For some types of work, such as social media marketing manager, you should definitely add your social media profiles you will work on, which are mostly Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
However, before you share them, make sure to edit them to look professional. Because remember, being professional is one very important part of getting the job you want.
So, that means, no silly photos and half-naked dances.
Apart from being in the marketing business, there is one social media profile you should definitely share, no matter your profession, which is your LinkedIn profile.
It’s definitely one of the most important social media networks for business people, so you should take advantage of that and be active there.
Before you share the profile link, however, make sure to edit it as shown in the example.
Remove those numbers and your link will look much more professional and attractive.
LEARN WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR SUMMARY THAT REALLY WORKS IN 2020
Even though resumes should be smaller, they could still contain a lot of information, so it is a good idea to write a summary section, where you would put all your previous experience, jobs, some skills you used to complete certain jobs and some accomplishments.
Remember that you shouldn’t make this section be too large. A couple of sentences should be enough. It is basically the short version of everything important that would be included in the rest of the resume, so there is no need to make it too long.
As seen in the example, there is a huge difference between these two summaries. The first one is very detailed, explaining the experience, skills and some accomplishments this person has acquired through his work.
The last one seems pretty generic and says almost nothing about the person who wrote it. If you want to stand out of the crowd, you need to put some time and effort into creating your resume, thus including the summary section.
Along with your skills, you can also put some achievements you had made while you were in schools, such as your GPA or the fact that you managed to be on the Dean’s list.
However, it is only common in cases when a person doesn’t have too much experience.
GUIDE ON WRITING THE EXPERIENCE SECTION FOR ELECTRICIAN RESUME
Almost everything in a resume should be written in the reverse-chronological order.
So, after the short summary, you should write something about your past and current experience.
The experience section should start with your most recent job, and end with your first job or certain activity. You can see what we meant in the example below.
Along with that, you should also write several points about each job. Describe what were your responsibilities, tasks, and accomplishments. To make this easier to read, you can use bulleted lists and sort everything.
WHAT TO POINT OUT IN YOUR EDUCATION SECTION TO CATCH RECRUITER’S INTEREST
Now that you added some important information in the experience section, it is time to add something about your education.
Same as in the experience section, you should first write your most recent academic achievements and degrees like shown in the example.
Apart from that, you could also add some points about your accomplishments and activities in and out of school.
For instance, if you had good grades, you could write that down. Or if you managed to be on the Dean’s list for several semesters in a row. Or if you simply did certain school projects, that benefitted you in the future, you can put that as well.
THESE SKILLS ARE HIGHLY IMPORTANT IN ELECTRICIAN RESUME
Now that we had finished explaining everything important about the education section, let’s see how to write a resume skills section.
When it comes to this section, a lot of people make the same mistake and put every skill they have, even if they are completely irrelevant to the job position they are applying for.
Instead of doing that, you should make a selection of skills that are important for the job you want to get.
Like shown in the illustration, there is no need for an electrician to put that he has cooking skills. It might be important for his personal life, but it’s not for the job he does.
Therefore, it is a bad idea to put it in there.
Apart from having a selection of important skills, you should also try to separate skills into different categories, so they would be easier to read.
That way, recruiters would be able to clearly see all the important skills you have and compare them to the skills needed for the job.
BEST RECRUITER TIPS & TRICKS FOR ELECTRICIANS
Now that we have completed our general guide about how to write a perfect resume for an electrician, let’s talk about some smaller tips and tricks that also play a very important role in making your resume look perfect.
- Choice of the font style – the first thing to choose when you open any word document is picking the font style and size. Same goes for writing your resume. Since your resume is your business card, you should use the font that would picture your own personality. However, there are some ground rules. Don’t use fonts that are handwritten because they are much harder to read, so recruiters might have difficulties understanding them. And they will probably have hundreds of other resumes, so it is best not to take any chances.
- The right resume size – a common mistake that a lot of people make is that they try to make their resumes as big as possible. It is a completely wrong way of thinking. Putting more useless information in your resume doesn’t mean that you are better than others. It is better to have a smaller and organized resume, with meaningful information. The optimal size should be from one to two pages, no more. To ensure that your resume has the right size, don’t fill it in with unnecessary information.
- Use of bulleting lists – In order to help you reduce unnecessary content in your resume, you can use bullet points and make lists. It would achieve two things. First, your resume would be much easier to read, rather than being all bundled up in a text, now it is split into different categories, all with bulleted lists. Second, by using a bulleted list, you would reduce the amount of unnecessary content and optimize the size of your resume.
- Choosing the file format for your resume – the most common file formats used for resumes are PDF and TXT. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages. PDF looks prettier and more professional. However, it cannot be easily edited. TXT, on the other hand, allows you to edit it without problems and keeps your resume up to date. Its flaw is that it isn’t PDF since PDF simply looks more professional. So, our advice is to keep your resume in both formats. Use TXT to edit everything you need and when you need to send or print your resume, use PDF file. It would make your life easier, than having to change formats, upload and print it every time you need to update it.
- Choosing the proper template for your resume – when it comes to the resume template, there is always a question whether to use some of the custom templates from the internet, or to simply create your own template. If you want to be genuine, you should try creating your own template. However, some people don’t really have the time and skill to do so. So, in which case they pick random one instead. If you do that, it is a good idea to pick some that would completely reflect your personality. If you want to try it out, feel free to use our online resume builder, which you can use to create resumes very fast and easy.
- Don’t write lies – a lot of people tend to write things in their resumes, that are not true, from their language knowledge to their understanding of some skills that are required to do the job. In certain companies, this kind of behavior can pass. However, companies and recruiters are getting better on how to spot a lie on a resume. So you should be careful and avoid lying about anything.
- Checking the email on a regular basis – when you apply for a job, it is a good idea to check your email on a regular basis. Sometimes, emails tend to get to the spam folder, in which case, you can miss your invitation to an interview or the testing results.
- Re-reading your resume after completion – after you are done writing your resume, what you should do is pretend to be a recruiter and re-read your resume, from a different perspective. By doing that, you allow yourself to correct your own mistakes and fix them before you send the resume to the real recruiters. This way, you can be sure that everything important is in the resume and that every unnecessary information has been removed.
- Sharing political opinion and activities – despite the chance that you might have same political opinion as to the recruiter, which could increase your credibility and chance to get the job, it is never a good idea to put your political opinions and certain activities that you might have done. Everything is a fairy-tale while you and recruiter across you have similar political. However, hell may occur if that is not the case. You might even be completely removed from the process because of this.
- Proper grammar is important – using proper grammar is always important. But, in business, it is like ten times more important, so you should always check if your grammar is right, by going manually through your resume text or simply by using other software, such as Grammarly.
- Edit your resume often – as you work and grow, you get new skills and experience new things. Therefore, there is a need for including those new skills in your resume. That means that you should regularly edit your resume and update it with the important information. By doing that, you make yourself ready to send that resume anytime, anywhere, when the need arises.
That was everything we have prepared for you today folks! We talked about what makes resumes so important and gave you some examples of the best electrician resumes.
After that, we decided to help you with a guide that teaches you about individual parts of a resume and the information that goes in each part.
Now it’s your turn to go out there, try to make your resume and join the electrician crew. If you are still conflicted about the creation of your resume, make sure to use our resume template builder and make your resume in under ten minutes.
Comments are closed.
The entire landscape of job hunting has changed over the past several years. Only a couple of …
Exit interviews are a universal practice conducted by organizations to understand why you’re leaving …